Master the veterinary technician’s role as a veterinary anesthetist! Covering the principles of animal anesthesia and pain management, Anesthesia and Analgesia for Veterinary Technicians and Nurses, 6th Edition is the definitive guide to the latest drugs, techniques and protocols, and anesthetic equipment. Clear guidelines to anesthesia administration include pre-anesthetic preparation of the patient, induction procedures, the monitoring of patients’ vital signs during the anesthetic period, and postoperative care.
Autor: John Thomas, Phillip Lerche
|Vydání||VI. vydání 2023|
• Comprehensive coverage of dogs, cats, horses, cattle, camelids, and
swine makes this an excellent resource for veterinary students and
• Illustrated, step-by-step guidelines to common procedures include
patient preparation, IV catheter placement, anesthetic induction techniques,
endotracheal intubation, anesthetic maintenance techniques, and
• Two large-animal anesthesia chapters cover pain management and
anesthetic techniques for equine, ruminant, camelid, and swine patients.
• Reference tables and boxes provide quick access to fluid administration
rates, properties of anesthetic drugs, oxygen flow rates, anesthetic
protocols, normal and abnormal monitoring parameters, and more.
• Learning features include chapter outlines, learning objectives, key terms,
Technician Notes, key points, review questions, and suggested readings.
• Glossary at the end of the text makes it easy to look up definitions of
• Evolve website provides additional interactive assets that reinforce what
you have learned from the book.
Written by expert educators John A. Thomas and Philip Lerche, this trusted text prepares you for success in the classroom and on the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE).
Affiliations and expertise
Assistant Professor, Veterinary Technology, Cuyahoga Community College, Cleveland, OH
Affiliations and expertise
Assistant Professor, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Table of contents
1. Introduction to Anesthesia
2. Patient Preparation
3. Anesthetic Agents and Adjuncts
4. Anesthetic Equipment
5. Workplace Safety
6. Anesthetic Monitoring
7. Special Techniques
9. Canine and Feline Anesthesia
10. Equine Anesthesia
11. Anesthesia of Ruminants, Camelids, and Swine
12. Rodent and Rabbit Anesthesia
13. Anesthetic Problems and Emergencies
Appendix A: Procedure for Operation of a Full Rebreathing System
Appendix B: American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia Monitoring Guidelines Update, 2009
Appendix C: Equipment and Drugs for Use in an Emergency Crash Cart
Appendix D: Standard Volumes, Weights, Measures, and Equivalents